NEW EXPANDED PROGRAM!
Now helping all Sarnia/Lambton homeowners
The Habitat Handyman service was launched in 2016 as a pilot program with support from The County of Lambton and with the expressed purpose of providing low-cost home improvement services exclusively to low income homeowners. The pilot outcomes were very positive and Habitat Sarnia/Lambton has received a second year of funding from the County for 2017.
However, in 2017, Habitat Sarnia/Lambton has opened the service up to all homeowners in Sarnia and Lambton County. While Habitat will continue to serve low-income families as a priority under the 2016 pricing structure, a new pricing stream has been identified for all other homeowners.
A printable version of our application form is available here. Please submit completed forms online or to the Habitat Handyman directly by dropping it off at our ReStore at 1787 London Line in Sarnia.
Habitat Handyman offers the following services
- Interior/exterior General Carpentry
- Cabinet Removal & Installation
- Kitchen repair/renovation
- Bathroom repair/renovation
- Vinyl Siding Repair/Removal/Installation
- Drywall installation/repair
- Interior/exterior painting
- Installation of Flooring (laminate & ceramic)
- Installation of attic insulation
- Pressure Washing – Home Exterior
- Deck/Porch Repair & Maintenance
We are happy to receive requests for services not shown on the list above.
NOTE: Habitat Handyman does not currently offer electrical, plumbing, heating or roofing services.
How Does It Work?
- Anyone who wishes our Handyman services must apply (either on-line or by completing a hard-copy application).
- If a homeowner wishes to be considered for low-income pricing s/he must provide proof of income (previous year's CRA Notice of Assessment). Income must fall within the HILS tables. *More information on this below.
- Our Habitat Handyman will book an appointment to visit the home.
- Our Handyman will evaluate the scope of work required.
- If the work falls within our capabilities*, then our Handyman will provide the homeowner with a written estimate of the materials (if applicable) and another for the labour required to complete the job. The health and safety of our team is very important to us. Please see our Health and Safety Policy Statement.
- The homeowner will sign and approve the estimate(s).
- On receipt of the signed estimate(s), Habitat Sarnia/Lambton will purchase any materials required.
- The homeowner will be sent an invoice for the materials (30-day terms). If Habitat Sarnia/Lambton does not receive payment within 30 days, Habitat will return the materials and cancel the ob.
- Work will not commence until payment for all materials is received in full.
- Once payment is received, the job is scheduled. Our Habitat Handyman Supervisor will coordinate a team of up to 4 volunteers to complete the work. Please see our Volunteer Code of Conduct.
- On completion of the work, an invoice for labour will be sent to the homeowner for payment.**
How Much Does It Cost?
LOW INCOME STREAM PRICING
|Cost of Materials
|Cost of Labour**
||$25/hour (for our Handyman plus up to 4 volunteers
||$25 per $1,000 in total project costs
MAIN STREAM PRICING
|Cost of Materials
||5% Mark-up on materials
|Cost of Labour**
||$35/hour (again, for our Handyman plus up to 4 volunteers
||$35 per $1,000 in total project costs
*= Habitat Handyman reserves the right to refuse a home improvement project at its sole discretion.
**= Minimum labor of $100/project
Does Your Family Qualify for the Low-Income Stream?
Habitat Sarnia/Lambton uses the Service Ontario High Needs Household Income Limits... or "HILS" tables to determine eligibility. These tables connect maximum annual household income to the size of your home.
|Size of your home
||Maximum gross household income
||Not more than $37,500
||Not more than $43,000
|4+ bedroom home
||Not more than $51,500
- Your home has 3 bedrooms. Your gross household income is $29,500.
You qualify to apply for Habitat Handyman services.
- Your home has 4 bedrooms. Your gross household income is $56,000.
We are sorry. We are unable to provide low-income pricing for you...but can happily assist you through the Main Stream Pricing System.
The Habitat Handyman service is not currently offered to folks who do not own their own home.